Russian doctors accidentally filled the IV bag of a 27-year-old woman with formalin, a solution containing formaldehyde, which led to her death, the Washington Post reported, quoting Tass, Russia’s state-controlled news agency.
Ekaterina Fedyaeva was undergoing unspecified routine surgery in the Volga Federal District of Russia when doctors mistakenly injected her with a mixture that is intended to stop dead bodies from decomposing, rather the saline solution they intended to administer, according to the Post account.
Her mother, Galina Baryshnikova, said Fedyaeva suffered severe pain and violently shaking for two days after surgery, before falling into a coma and dying shortly after.
Baryshnikova added that doctors ignored her pleas to save her daughter, did not check up on her daughter when they should have and accused them of murder.
“People who performed the surgery already knew that they infused something wrong. They needed to take some urgent measures – but they did nothing,” she told The Sun.
A criminal investigation is underway, according to The Sun.