By Jacob Geanous, Metro
An 84 year-old man died after nursing home staff failed to bathe him and his genitals rotted off. York Spratling contracted gangrene after staff at Consulate Health Care in Jacksonville, Florida, failed to help him with his personal hygiene, even though they could smell the stench of his rotting flesh as soon as they entered his room. The Florida state review ruled that workers there failed to seek treatment for Spratling or report his condition, but no action was taken against the facility, according to News-Press.
Spratling’s family said he suffered from diabetes but remained active in his later years, although they never expected his health to decline so quickly. ‘Everything was about to fall off, it was so rotten,’ said Spratling’s brother, Obie.
‘It really freaked us out.’ The neglectful conditions did not come as a complete surprise to the family. The Florida Agency for Health Care Administration cited the nursing home three times in the year before Spratling’s death for not staffing enough nurses to give patients proper personal hygienic care.