Scary Warning for Swimming Dogs

Algae in ponds and lakes can be deadly
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 13, 2019 8:28 AM CDT

(NEWSER) – For dog owners who let their pooches jump into lakes and ponds, a spate of deaths around the US has led to a warning: Beware the algae. It may look harmless, but a toxic blue-green algae is being blamed for fatally poisoning dogs, reports NBC News. The issue got national attention when North Carolina’s Melissa Martin posted on Facebook about how all three of her dogs died after swimming in a Wilmington pond. One began have a seizure in 15 minutes, and the others soon after, reports CNN. A vet could not save them and diagnosed the algae as blooms of cyanobacteria. Its toxins also are harmful to people, but dogs are particularly vulnerable because they ingest them, per the New York Times. Sometimes the dogs do so by licking their fur after a swim.

More: https://www.newser.com/story/279051/scary-warning-for-swimming-dogs.html