Ron Maxey, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee
Graceland is one of the Top 25 U.S. Landmarks, according to the travel planning and booking site TripAdvisor.
The site ranked the top landmarks for its Travelers’ Choice awards using an algorithm that considered the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings gathered over a 12-month period from TripAdvisor users.
Another Tennessee landmark, Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium, also made the Top 25 list. Neither Tennessee landmark cracked the Top 10.
“For travelers thinking about anchoring their trips with a visit to an iconic site, there’s no better starting point than the list of Travelers’ Choice award winners,” said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor. “With awe-inspiring temples, poignant memorials and breath-taking examples of architectural innovation, there’s a wide variety of options to inspire those looking for culturally enriching experiences.”
The Graceland mansion and 13.8-acre estate surrounding it was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2006. It attracts hundreds of thousands of Elvis fans from around the world each year.
The Top 10 sites:
1. Alcatraz Island, San Francisco
2. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
3. Lincoln Memorial, Washington
4. Grand Central Terminal, New York City
5. USS Arizona Memorial, Honolulu
6. Empire State Building, New York City
7. Statue of Liberty, New York City
8. Brooklyn Bridge, New York City
9. Biltmore Estate, Asheville, N.C.
10. Cloud Gate, Chicago