A spokesperson broke the somber news on Sunday
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Apr 15, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
(NEWSER) – Barbara Bush is in failing health and won’t be seeking further treatment for her illness, said a statement released Sunday. Per the AP, family spokesman Jim McGrath issued the news release saying that following a recent series of hospitalizations and after consulting with her family and doctors, the 92-year-old former first lady has decided not to seek additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care. The release did not elaborate on the nature of Bush’s health problems. However, CNN reports that Bush has been hospitalized multiple times in the last year in her battle with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and congestive heart failure. McGrath says Bush appreciates the many kind messages and prayers she’s been receiving.
“It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself—thanks to her abiding faith—but for others. She is surrounded by a family she adores, and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving,” the statement read. Barbara Bush has been married to George HW Bush for 73 years. In recent years, it has been her husband’s health, not hers, that has made headlines. The 93-year-old 41st president was hospitalized in 2015 following a fall in the family home. In 2017, Bush was hospitalized twice for a recurring case of pneumonia, the first of which kept him away from home over two weeks.