Authorities Blame 2 Fires On Use Of Blowtorch To Thaw Pipes

 

Fire officials in Maryland have blamed a house fire on a homeowner using a blow torch to thaw frozen pipes.

The fire occurred Sunday afternoon in the unit block of East Baltimore Street in Taneytown. No injuries were reported. It took firefighters two hours to get the fire under control. All occupants are being assisted by the Red Cross.

The Maryland Fire Marshal’s Office attributed the cause of the blaze to the use of a blowtorch to heat some pipes, according to media reports.

The Fire Marshal’s Office said about 90 firefighters fought the blaze, which caused a total of about $300,000 in damage.

The Fire Marshal’s Office said in a statement that another fire started under similar circumstances on Sunday in Edgewood.

Officials said a maintenance worker used a heat gun and a hair dryer to thaw pipes in a town house. The maintenance worker and the occupant were able to safely escape.

http://www.wbal.com/article/286636/3/authorities-blame-fire-on-use-of-blowtorch-to-thaw-pipes?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark